Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Radeon HD6450 works great on Windows 10, plays 3D movies over HDMI!


When I upgraded my HTPC to Windows 10, the integrated Radeon HD4250 graphics refused to play ball. Videos on Netflix or YouTube only appeared as a green screen on my 1080p HDTV. I tried to install graphics updates manually without any great success. Finally I broke down and accepted that I needed a dedicated card if I wanted to get my machine working the way I wanted.

I landed on the HD6450 for a few reasons: the price was very good, the fanless design ensured that I was not adding any additional noise to my entertainment center and this model allows for 3D playback on my LG tv.

A few weeks after installation, I'm happy to report that the Radeon HD6450 has met all of my needs! Installation was simple, and Windows found its own driver that worked right away, but I opted to download the drivers from Asus and install the standard ATI Control Center software. I also can confirm that 3D playback works and it's awesome! I got a video for testing 3D which looked amazing, but even YouTube videos that play in side-by-side can be converted by the TV to produce an image that works with LG's passive 3D glasses. This was a huge upgrade for my entertainment center and I can't wait to try it out with 3D BluRay once I get a drive.

Check out the graphics card here:
Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card - EAH6450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)

No comments:

Post a Comment