Thursday, October 22, 2015

Dealosaurus Rex gave 5 stars to: The Three-Body Problem

Dealosaurus Rex reviewed:

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Original & Complex Hard Sci-Fi, October 22, 2015
Despite knowing the general premise of The Three-Body Problem, as well as knowing that it won the 2015 Hugo Award for best novel, I didn't know if I'd actually enjoy reading it. The farther into the book I got, the more I realized that this was not just an enjoyable story. The Three-Body Problem is, in fact, possibly the most refreshing, original and thought-provoking novel I've read all year.

Going in, I knew that this was a story about first contact with an alien civilization. A civilization that immediately mobilizes to conquer us. But the story is crafted in such a way that the central premise is almost an afterthought as you get into the stories of the characters and try to figure out how it all fits together.

A whole other dimension of this book's appeal to me was the setting of China's Cultural Revolution. Take out the aliens and the nano-particles and you're still left with an insane backdrop for human drama to unfold. I found myself wondering what it must be like to read this story from a Chinese perspective, especially after the heart-breaking introduction to Ye Wenjie.


See all my reviews on Amazon Here: Dealosaurus Rex's Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment